It’s been 1 month and 1 day since I returned from my Eurotrip. I’ve been wanting to write this top 10 list in some form or fashion since I got back but it’s only just come together in my mind the way I wanted it to. So here goes, my top 10 Eurotrip reflections:
- Best meal: Seated outside on a side street off Piazza Navona, just me and a friend, people watching and chatting over an early dinner of bruschetta, pasta and eggplant in marinara, avocado-tomato-arugula salad and lasagna. La vida es bella.
- Favourite optional (Contiki): White water rafting in Austria. The one optional that I made up my mind I absolutely had to do from day 1 and boy oh boy it did not disappoint. I would do it again in a heartbeat
- Fondest memory: Our last night on tour was fantastic, Amsterdam gave us a night that we will never forget; bar hopping, space cakes, Chinese food, coffee houses and great company
- Most mind blowing sight: so many masterpieces, so little time. It was hard not to get bored after the 500th painting, sculpture, tapistry, etc. But the one that stood out the most would have to be Michaelangelo’s David. It is absolutely breathtaking. It commands you attention even when you’ve walked away from it you find yourself drawn back for one last look. I could spend the entire afternoon looking at David, he is in a word….perfect
- I never knew: how determined I was until that ridiculous mountain bike ride in Austria. 12 miles, half uphill, half downhill on quite possibly the most uncomfortable seat ever with no previous mountain bike experience and a full decade since my previous biking experience. I did not give up (even thoug I was the very last person in the group to finish), I did not fall, I am alive to tell the tale.
- I wish I never: had so many early nights. I missed so many parties and bonding sessions. It would have been great to be able to stay out until last call each night and still make it to all the sightseeing the next morning but I’m not a kid anymore and priorities
- I’m glad I: followed my desires and went on this trip! It required a lot of saving, sacrificing and planning but I don;t regret any of it. I cannot imagine living my entire life without seeing and doing the things. The whole wide world is out there waiting and I was able to cross quite a few destinations off my bucket list.
- I want to move to: Italy!! Florence is calling my name and I am ready to answer
- Favourite purchase: My flag bracelet from Leonardo’s in Florence. A flag for every country visited on the tour. I haven’t taken it off since I bought it and I don’t even plan to :)
- My wanderlust is now outrageously out of control!
My life is but a weaving
Between the Lord and me;
I may not choose the colors–
He knows what they should be.
For He can view the pattern
Upon the upper side
While I can see it only
On this, the under side.
Sometimes He weaves in sorrow,
Which seems so strange to me;
But I will trust His judgment
And work on faithfully.
‘Tis He who fills the shuttle,
And He knows what is best;
So I shall weave in earnest,
And leave to Him the rest.
Not ’til the loom is silent
And the shuttles cease to fly
Shall God unroll the canvas
And explain the reason why.
The dark threads are as needed
In the Weaver’s skillful hand
As the threads of gold and silver
In the pattern He has planned.
Benjamin Malachi Franklin 1882-1965